Monroe, LA (January 8, 2023) – A 39-year-old man has lost his life following a crash that took place early Saturday morning in Monroe. On December 31, the Louisiana State Police from Troop F responded to the scene of a traffic accident on US Highway 165.
At approximately 7 a.m., 39-year-old Corkey Williams was riding a bicycle on the south side of US Highway 165. For unknown reasons, he was struck by a vehicle from behind in the area near US Highway 165 business.
Williams was severely harmed in the accident. Authorities arrived at the scene to render aid to the victim. However, the Ouachita Parish Coroner’s Office pronounced him deceased at the scene of the accident as a result of his injuries.
The state police are currently investigating the incident.
Our sincerest condolences are with the family of Corkey Williams at this time.
Fatal Bicycle Accidents in Louisiana
Fatal bicycle accidents are the cause of countless deaths here in the state of Louisiana. Unfortunately, many of these accidents are caused by negligence. Some of the leading factors in fatal bike crashes across their state include:
- Lack of visibility: This is one of the most common factors that contribute to fatal bicycle crashes. Many bicyclists do not wear reflective clothing or use lights when biking at night, making them difficult for drivers to see.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is a leading cause of all car accidents, and fatal bicycle accidents are no exception. When drivers take their eyes off the road, they are more likely to hit a bicyclist who they may not have seen otherwise.
- Speeding: Speeding is another leading cause of all car accidents and is often a factor in fatal bicycle accidents as well. When drivers are speeding, they have less time to react to bicyclists who are traveling near or on the road.
- Intoxicated driving: Bicyclists are at risk of being severely harmed or killed while traveling near reckless and impaired drivers.
- Bad weather: Bad weather can make it more difficult for drivers to see bicyclists and can also make it more difficult for bicyclists to control their bikes.
If your loved one has died as a result of the fatal bicycle accident, your family may be able to file a wrongful death claim against the driver who caused the accident to take place. A Monroe wrongful death lawyer can help your family seek compensation to make sure that you have the money you need for funeral costs, burial expenses, and more.
At Parker Alexander Attorneys at Law, we understand that losing a loved one due to a fatal bicycle accident can be an emotionally trying time. We are here to provide you with the help and support you need throughout the legal process. Our team has extensive knowledge of personal injury and wrongful death cases related to automobile accidents, and our Monroe wrongful death lawyers are committed to helping our clients get the results they deserve. Contact our Louisiana personal injury law firm today at 318-625-6262 for a free consultation to get started on your case.
Note: Our team utilizes outside sources when creating these accident posts. Our team has not independently verified all of the facts surrounding this accident, therefore, if you find any information that is inaccurate, please contact Parker Alexander Attorneys at Law right away so that we can update the post with the most accurate information available. The post will be removed if requested.
Disclaimer: The photo used in this post was not taken at the actual accident scene. The information provided in this post is not intended to be medical or legal advice. If you have been injured in an accident, please seek medical attention immediately. This post is not intended to be a solicitation for business.